The recent rise in male pampering shows no sign of slowing down anytime soon: this year’s Met Ball saw many high-profile men embracing the camp theme, sales of male skincare is booming and it’s now common place for male celebs and sports players to be asked in interviews about their grooming regimes.
So, if you want to present your best self this summer, but you don’t want to leave the comfort of your home to do it, follow our essential guide for guys getting summer-ready so you don’t get left behind!
- Have your feet been hidden away all year in boots, or crammed into trainers? Chances are, as summer appears, you’ll be ditching winter shoes in favour of sliders, flip flops or the latest catwalk trend for “hiking sandals”, so you need to get your feet ready to be exposed! A new survey1 found that over a quarter of men (28%) hate the way their feet look! So, why not pick up a pair of Footner Exfoliating Socks and get baby-soft feet without having to leave the house. Just pop the socks on for an hour and chill out in bed or on the sofa. In the next few days, watch all your dead skin peel away, leaving your feet soft and smooth without enduring a public pedicure. Whilst you’re at it, make sure you clean and trim your nails for summer-ready toes.
- Studies from Kantar reveal that hair removal products are the fastest growing category for male shoppers. It goes up 25% year-on-year, with £6m worth of sales in 2018. More and more men are favouring the smooth, hair-free look, as exhibited by the men on reality TV shows, with experts calling it ‘The Love Island Effect’. Why not get involved this summer? The range of methods for male hair removal include using cream, shaving, waxing and epilating.
- Take care in the sun – tans are great but burning isn’t. If you’re planning on chilling in the sun this summer, make sure you’re wearing a high SPF. Not only is looking like a lobster unattractive, it hurts too! If you do get a little too bronzed make sure you use after sun to soothe the burn. If the British summer doesn’t provide, you can always explore fake tanning options, so you still glow despite the weather. Statistics from Mintel show that almost one third of guys from 16 to 24 have experimented with a tan-enhancing product – join the trend and show off your bronzed complexion this summer.
- Eyebrows – yes, it’s now a man-thing, but some guys find that getting brows shaped and trimmed in public can be a painful experience in more ways than one! So, why not learn how to groom your eyebrows at home. Invest in a pair of tweezers for stray hairs and use a comb to work out which hairs are longer than others and need to be trimmed. Get these sorted so you’re ready for all those holiday selfies.
- Sort out your summer scent – If you’re going to be working out this summer or messing around on the beach it’s inevitable, you’re going to get a sweat on, so you want to make sure you’re extra protected in the sun. Make sure you’ve got a good deodorant and swap any heavy winter aftershave for a lighter summer fragrance, perhaps with notes of citrus so you stay smelling fresh, particularly as heat causes smell to intensify.